Massive Transformative Purpose (MTP)
To use Heart, Mind and Spirit to help us find Purpose, Prosperity, and Peace by engaging at the intersection of Humanity, Technology, and Faith.
You may have noticed that I use the number 23 as part of my identity, such as in my Twitter handle “@despindola23”, personal email address, and in this website’s logo. Some people have asked me the significance of the number 23, and I am happy to share.
First of all, let me be clear that I don’t believe in numerology or superstitions. However, the number 23 does have some symbolism and personal significance to me. It represents the intersection of humanity, technology and faith, which is where I like to engage. Let me explain.
It starts with coding. I’ve spent most of my career dealing with software. It is the coding in the software that makes computers do what they do. Without software, computers would just be dumb metal. Humans also carry the equivalent of software coding in the form of DNA. About 99% of our DNA is shared with all of humanity, but it is the remaining 1% that makes each of us unique. Our DNA is carried in 23 pairs of chromosomes, so the technology that defines who we are as a human species is represented by the number 23.
But I also believe that humans are not just programmed machines. We are spiritual beings, and that is what makes us so special. In my Christian faith, our beliefs are based on scriptures that were written by dozens of authors over hundreds of years with remarkable consistency. My favorite part of scriptures is Psalm 23, which was written by king David. It starts like this:
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
I would encourage you to read it in its entirety – it is one of the most beautiful writings I’ve ever encountered.
So there you have it. I hope you can see the personal significance of the number 23.
Oh, and I also happen to have been born on the 23rd day of the month…
… and, with the number 23 I can write my initials with a creative D and a backwards E.